Wednesday, May 03, 2006

triaged repairs


triaged repairs
Originally uploaded by run lily.
Peter was more sleepy last night than I was and I had a chance to do some mending while Ron and I watched Texas Ranch (my choice) and the Stanley Cup (his). I began with the worst of the tattered blocks, and after finishing it, did the next worst, and the next. Although this is a random pattern made with a wide variety of scraps, I'm trying to keep to the original vision by using the same fabric to replace worn blocks done in a single fabric. The pieces seeem to be a mix from 1940s-1960s. It's a family piece made by my grandmother or greatgrandmother. (Mum said on the phone this morning that she doesn't remember which quilt it is. She has many beautiful quilts in her life!)

It sounds fairly obvious, but when I sat down to do it with my seven different choices, it was hard to restrain myself. I think it's the high road, though.

I hope the repairs aren't obvious. The new blocks are the yellow and pink large-scale florals on the left side.

4 comments:

Robin said...

The quilt with repairs looks lovely!

Crafty Missus said...

beauty!

Kerstin Svendsen said...

what a gorgeous quilt!

Anonymous said...

Your grandmother (or great-grandmother, whatever the case may be) would be so proud of you for carrying on the legacy of this quilt!