Thursday, May 04, 2006

quilt repair and how to live


quilt repair and how to live
Originally uploaded by run lily.
I spent another evening yesterday mending tattered quilt blocks. This time, the new ones are the pale green with pink paisley blocks on the lower right. Selecting fabric, cutting, pressing, and sewing in place is taking an hour per block, and I catch myself thinking that I should do what they say about old quilts: put it on a bed in the shadier spare room, keep the door closed so that the cat stays off it, and cover the quilt with a white sheet when we're not looking at it. This is how treasures are passed down for generations. I do value this one, even though it isn't one of the fancy pieced quilts that my grandmother made for each of her daughters, and now makes for the new greatgrandbabies. Some of the blocks must have been old sheets, others remind me of the "dust-bowl farmer aprons" (I wish I could remember who used this phrase!) my other grandmother always wore, tiny floral prints in dark primary colors. And this simple one-patch seems to be a different quilt in every room it's been in. When I first took it from mum to live with me in Montreal, I was in a student coop and painted my room to match the deep blue blocks. For a while, I turned it over, to show just the hand quilting. These days, it's in Peter's room, I notice the robin's egg blue, mustard yellows, and tomato reds that reappear in almost every room of our old house.

I don't want this to be a museum piece. I don't want my life to be that kind of life, one filled with precious things that can't be used or, even worse, with a frenzied consumption of objects that I worry aren't stylish enough even before I buy them and take them home. As I mend, I notice discreet little repairs, other blocks that were replaced by some other sewer, and I wonder what she thought about mending.

7 comments:

Lia (artjunkgrl) said...

I love to use my things and pass them down in a "loved" condition. I love to see "repairs" in some pieces my parents had. I know they took the time to fix it. my mom has these old porcelain beach girls (50's ish) that I adore. she gave me one. I never noticed that it had once broken. I looked under it one day and knew my dad (who has passed away) did it. he was the "fixer" in the family. It made me feel good that I was holding something that was loved, displayed (I saw it all through growing up), and enjoyed, even if it was imperfect. :)

Anonymous said...

Isn't it lovely that you have something with so much history and that you're adding to it's history too. I bet the quilt could tell a lot of stories. I totally agree with you about keeping things as museum pieces. I still have clothes that I keep for best as that was what we did when I was growing up. Thankfully I haven't passed this onto the children. Thanks for bringing this point up -it's really making me look at my stuff (whatever it is tablecloths, clothes, knick knacks) and think about how much they are used.

Robin said...

I love your story of how one quilt has impacted your life and carries the history of so many other people in your family. It must feel good to add your part to the life of the quilt through your careful repairs to its structure and by using it in your day-to-day life. Beautiful!

Jessica Moreau Berry said...

I think it's wonderful that you have the skills to do this! Our treasured quilt never leaves our bed....and it's starting to show!!

had fun emailing back and forth this morn!!

xoxox

Heather said...

Hi Patricia, thanks for stopping by.
I am in the middle of teaching intersession - once that is over - its back to blogging...since it looks like I will be unemployed. (Departmental politics at its worset...there was an attempt to purge the dept of ALL the PT folk. We're "protected" by a collective agreement...but right now the dept is playing chicken with the union and the admin to see how far they can get away with not following it..very long and dramatic story...)

And lovely quilt! Have fun with the house!

heather

Anonymous said...

Lovely post and a lovely quilt. I'd say use it and love it. I'm sure that's what its maker would have intended for it, right? Your repairs are perfect!

Anonymous said...

How gorgeous! What a treasure to have and repair.