Monday, May 08, 2006

3 rush-seat chairs, a teacup, and Mother's Day


3 rush-seat chairs and a teacup
Originally uploaded by run lily.
The latest issue of Brain, Child magazine questions the notion that there is a sisterhood of mothers. There are so many different opinions and experiences about conception, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, sleep arrangements and discipline that I often think that parenting should join religion and politics as one of the topics that North Americans prefer not to discuss. After a few discussions in which I've been bashed over the head for supporting midwifery, extended breastfeeding, co-sleeping, and other apparently unwise practices, I've become adept at changing the topic. But there is a common experience, though; pregnancy, childbirth, and parenting, however we experience them, are life changes. Whatever our experience, it's different from what our life was before. And it's hard sometimes.

Which brings me to the teacup. We went to Linden House's antique sale on Saturday. It's a twice-yearly consignment sale of beautiful things, mostly furniture but also some nice china. I was looking for kitchen chairs, and picked out 3 beautiful rush-seat pieces. They weren't terribly big, but still they wouldn't all fit into the trunk, so Ron packed them into the trunk and back seat and made a quick trip home while Peter and I waited. It seemed like a normal morning for me: we looked around a little more, he talked to all the ladies coming and going, and I peeked over at the china when I could. When Ron got back, one of the shopowners came out with a wrapped teacup that she held out to me. "For Mother's Day next week," she said, "We know what it's like." There is a sisterhood after all.

4 comments:

Robin said...

It is so beautiful when someone gives an unexpected and uninvited gift! Thank you for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Wow. How nice. What a great little experience, unexpected and kind. There should be more of that in the world.

lera said...

I love the teacup story. Thanks for sharing.

Crafty Missus said...

llew and i had a lovely saturday too....we bought books.
extended breastfeeding? yup, my boobs will never be the same, kevin says they went from fun bags to feed bags!
co-sleeping? we are discussing getting a bigger bed.
midwifery? there are no midwifes in newfounland... i do have the advantage of my mothers and two sisters (who between them have birthed 9 youngins in total), i found them to be a comfort, informative and highly amusing!
lovely post.