Monday, May 01, 2006

New projects and old projects

I was thinking a lot about getting things done on Friday. I have a few few book/film reviews that need to get done, reviewers' comments on my economic anthropology article to address (they were positive, but that still means more work), and another ethnography article to do before heading off to Morocco in a few months. I worked fairly steadily all day, and felt good about my productivity, but didn't really finish anything. So I got out Peter's dear felted coat and finished it in half an hour. That's why I love these little crafty things. Boom, boom, boom, it's done and there's something to show for my effort. (When I get in these moods I wish I had gone into civil engineering instead of anthropology. A book can't really compare with a bridge.) Today is my day home with little guy, and I have lots of projects to do, all short and fun. We've already planted 3 cowslips and some lemon thyme (thymus aurelius) in the back garden (the mulchy early spring bare branched paradise in this picture), and put a pot of stock on to simmer. The fabrics to patch Peter's quilt are washed and about to get dried. I'd like to get a few of those tattered blocks mended. Mending seems so old-fashioned these days, and I love the idea of fixing something that was so loved that it was worn right through. The Velveteen Rabbit was one of my favorite books. Can you tell?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Peter and his coat are adorable. Sounds like you have been very productive! That always makes ya feel good, huh?