Saturday, March 11, 2006

Birthday bunting

Well, the holiday bunting is almost done. I got the red gingham tape this afternoon, then pinned and arranged until it was the right length for the little space under the plate rail in the kitchen hallway. The flags are recycled thrift shop pieces: one tiny cafe curtain (the lineny yellow and blue floral), one medium quality, quite worn poly-cotton blue stripd pillowcase, and one absolutely amazing brilliantly new top quality yellow gingham bolster pillowcase. The flag dimensions were based on the size of the tiny cafe curtain: how many flags could I cut without wasting a scrap? In the end, I have two extras, so I'm going to make more of the stripe and gingham. It's not reversible, but it is very nice looking on the reverse: the stripe is lined in white, and the other two in the yellow gingham. I am mad for gingham.

This project was inspired all the way by Posy's beautiful bunting (posy.typepad.com). I love the idea of hanging it for birthdays, holidays, rainy days, blue days ... I'm planning to hang it on Peter's door on his actual birthday, but have it downstairs for the party tomorrow. The extra flags will be turned into another length of bunting as soon as I get more red gingham tape

2 comments:

Posy said...

It really looks lovely, Patricia, you have done such a great job. The whole thing brings such a special atmosphere and can always be added to throughout the years!
Happy 1st Birthday, Peter!

beki said...

How very sweet! I may need to make one of these for my little ones' party this June. I love the look of it.