Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Sleep position


Peter, June 11 2005 013
Originally uploaded by pkellyspurles.
One of the things I've noticed is that baby sleep positions change as they get older. (I must clarify here that I'm basing this comment on my sample of one!) A few days after we got home from the hospital, I remember noticing that Peter had started to uncurl when he slept: until he started sleeping with his arms stretched out to the sides, I hadn't realized that he was consistently sleeping with his elbows bent and his hands near his shoulders. After a few more weeks, he started sleeping with his arms stretched straight out over his head. This became a pretty good indicator of how deeply he was sleeping: once the arms moved over his head, he would be "down for the night," as we say. After that was the zombie-like position where his elbows were bent and his arms were held forward, balanced in the air. Mum says that she remembers us (Charles, Jen, and me) sleeping that way. While he still sleeps on his back in the crib, these days, when he falls asleep on his tummy while nursing or on Ron's chest, he bends his legs at the hip and knee, and folds his arms under his head, in a nice little rectangular package. He's waking right now ...

No comments: