Monday, October 24, 2005

Catching up ...

Peter took his first step today (at 7 months and a week). He was standing balanced against my legs, and stretched one foot out as my mouth fell open. He put it down, I grabbed him before he could fall, and he grinned. He's been walking laps around the downstairs for the past few days, always aided by two steady hands from above. He's got the left-right-forward momentum technique down pat, but has absolutely no balance (or fear, for that matter). And he's figured out how to sit up from a lying position in the last week too. The first time he did it was last Friday at lunchtime. It was so slick that I almost missed it. He crawls backwards well up on his knees, then sticks a leg out sideways and takes one more step backwards with the other knee. And he's taken a few crawling "steps" forward in the past week, but never more than two at a time.

2 comments:

j said...

First step... sitting up by himself... crawling forwards... Holy smokes! Way to go baby Peter :-)! My goodness these babies grow fast...

We, meanwhile, have had... first inhalers (Ben: Ventolin & Flovent - totally legit :-)); first public speaking (Thomas: standing in his chair to announce (yes, announce, there's no other word to describe it!) "I tall too!" when Nancy commented on how tall Ben and Sam are during her visit last night); first invitation to skate with the Royal Circus of Moscow (Sam: his skating club's been invited to do the pre-show show this Saturday!), and first night in big boy bed (Thomas: & he loves it :-) & the crib is now available if you still want it :0) ); and first call from Sears to say our new couch is in!! YAY!! We may get it today :-).

Hope all's well with you 3 :-). TTYS, Jen

the anthropologist said...

I can't believe how fast Peter is progressing! I think this blog was a fantastic idea Pat. When you sent me the address last month(?) -ish, I read through it and was so glad to be able to hear little stories about what was going on even though I'm well over 12 hours away!
Tell Peter to keep up the good work! He's doing terrific, and looking terribly cute in the process ;-)